With airfield construction teams having already taken up residence on St Helena, the cargo/passenger ship RMS ST HELENA is probably now on
borrowed time as far as her regular service between Cape Town and Britain's mid Atlantic island posession is concerned. This picture was taken
in Cape Town harbour during July this year. Picture by Ian Shiffman
News continues below…
SHIPWATCH: ANOTHER FOUR SHIPS FOR IGNAZIO MESSINA
The Italian RoRo container specialist Ignazio Messina has signed a contract with South Korean shipbuilder STX Offshore & Shipbuilding for four
new 2,900-TEU ro-ro container ships for delivery in the second half of 2014.
The order is said to be worth US$300 million and represents the second stage of a two-phase $600 million fleet modernisation programme,
resulting in a number of newbuilds entering service with the line.
The ships are being designed in-house by the Genoese Messina Group naval architects. Each ship will be 240 metres long, 37.5m wide and will
have a maximum speed of 21.5 knots. The vessels will have antipollution systems installed including sophisticated exhaust gas cleaning.
The first four newbuilds of the modernisation project were built at the Daewoo Shipbuilding and Marine Engineering (DSME) in Okpo, South
Among these are the 50,000-gross ton JOLLY DIAMENTE and JOLLY PERLA which entered service between Italy and South Africa via the Red Sea and
East African ports earlier this year.
Ignazio Messina currently has 14 ships in its fleet and is ranked as the world’s second largest operator of ro-ro container ships.
News continues below…
PORTWATCH: MAPUTO TRAFFIC SAID TO DOUBLE IN SIX YEARS
Maputo port volumes set to increase dramatically
If current growth rates continue the Port of Maputo will more than double its throughput in the next six years, forecasts the Economist
Intelligence Unit (EIU), a sister organisation to the publication Economist.
The EIU’s June report on Mozambique said it expects the port to finish 2012 having handled 14 million tonnes of cargo, up from 11.8mt in 2011,
which in turn was a 30 percent increase in volumes on the year 2010.
At the recent conference in Maputo involving the Mozambique Government, port stakeholders and the Maputo Port management, detailed plans for
expanding the port were presented. These suggested that Maputo would be handling 40 million tonnes within the next six years, following a US
$1.7 billion investment in infrastructure and terminals and the refurbishment of port rail and road facilities.
“A lot of the port’s traffic is bulk goods, particularly coal and iron ore,” the EIU pointed out, while also highlighting that Maputo Port
serves several neighbouring countries, namely South Africa, Zimbabwe, Botswana and Swaziland.
It said that the future of the Port of Maputo looks assured considering that when it was handed over as a concession, the total traffic
through the Port of Maputo was under 5 million tonnes a year.
Dredging of Maputo
In other Maputo news, the Maputo daily newspaper Notícias reports that the Port of Maputo is to undergo further dredging of the access
channels and other operational areas as part of an emergency dredging programme.
This is to counter a build-up of silt in the channels which is affecting the desired 11m draught.
The dredging is to be carried out by local dredging company Empresa Moçambicana de Dragagem (Emodraga) and Denmark’s Rohde Nielsen.
Previous dredging between September 2010 and January 2011 removed 2 million cubic metres of sediment and rocks and improved the available
depth of water in the channels and operational areas from a maximum of 9.4 metres to 11 metres.
News continues below...
SEA RESCUE: NSRI KEPT BUSY AT WEEKEND
The National Sea Rescue Institute was kept busy over the weekend with a number of call outs involving vessels and their crews at sea. This was
in addition to several other incidents along the coastline and inland waterways of South Africa.
On Saturday 4 August the NSRI Sea Rescue helicopter unit volunteer duty crew at Cape Town was activated at midday by the Transnet National
Ports Authority (TNPA) following a request for medical assistance from the I&J stern fishing trawler FRESSIA. The trawler was reporting that
one of its crew onboard had sustained serious head injuries from a cable that backlashed on him after snapping under strain, striking his
head. At the time the trawler was at the fishing grounds 70 nautical miles (130 kilometres) off-shore of Cape Agulhas.
A Western Cape Government Health Emergency Medical Services (EMS) duty doctor was tasked by the Maritime Rescue Coordination Center (MRCC) to
medically evaluate the patient using radio telephone, following which it was decided that with the patient’s condition now critical he
required immediate evacuation by the fastest possible means to an appropriate medical facility for treatment.
The NSRI Sea Rescue helicopter unit volunteer duty crew, two EMS paramedics, and a flight crew from the SA Air Force (SAAF) 22 Squadron at Air
Force Base Ysterplaat subsequently launched the medical rescue operation using one of 22 Squadron’s Oryx helicopters.
Meanwhile, medical advice was given by radio telephone to the trawler’s captain by the EMS duty doctor. The trawler was instructed to head
towards Cape Town to reduce the distance of the rescue mission.
On arrival overhead of the trawler one of the EMS paramedics and a NSRI rescue swimmer were winched onto the vessel and the patient, 30-year
old Joseph Fortuin from Delft, Cape Town was stabilised before loading into a specialised stretcher and hoisted into the helicopter. He was
then flown to Groote Schuur Hospital in a stable but serious condition suffering an eye injury, a fractured arm and a chest injury.
NSRI volunteer crew and paramedics in the Oryx helicopter after successfully evacuating an injured fisherman from the trawler Freesia.
Also on Saturday, 4th August a call was made for assistance to be given to a Russian seafarer needing medical evacuation off a refrigerated
ship off the Mossel Bay coast.
NSRI Mossel Bay Station 15 responded by launching its sea rescue boat Vodacom Rescuer to rendezvous with the reefer vessel CHANGQUINOLA
BAY which was sailing towards Mossel Bay from the direction of Port Elizabeth.
“Our NSRI Mossel Bay volunteer sea rescue duty crew, accompanied by an ER24 paramedic, rendezvoused with the vessel two nautical miles East of
Mossel Bay harbour breakwater and the patient was found to be in a stable condition (walking wounded) and was brought across to our sea rescue
craft,” said Dawie Zwiegelaar, NSRI Mossel Bay station commander.
The patient, thought to be suffering from a food related illness, was taken to shore and transported by ambulance to the Life Bay hospital in
Mossel Bay where he was treated by hospital staff. The seaman was subsequently discharged into the care of the ships agent, King and
The Port Elizabeth NSRI was called out on the evening of Sunday, 5 August to medically evacuate an appendicitis patient from a passing ship.
The Port Elizabeth NSRI was also involved with assisting a waterlogged supply boat in difficulties while at sea.
The 255-metre long Cyprus-owned and flagged bulk carrier ORIENT CRUSADER sent out a call for help for one of its crew, a 32 year old Ukraine
seafarer, Oleg Storozhenko who was suspected to be suffering from appendicitis. Having been alerted by the Port Elizabeth TNPA, Station 6,
Port Elizabeth launched their sea rescue boat Spirit of Toft to rendezvous at sea with the bulker.
The Orient Crusader, whose last port of call had been Singapore was advised to sail closer to land before the evacuation rescue operation
could proceed. The ship was met some six n.miles east of Port Elizabeth where two NSRI crew medics went on board the bulker to find the
patient in a stable condition. He was then transferred to the NSRI rescue boat and taken to Port Elizabeth harbour where an ambulance was on
standby to transfer him to the St Georges Hospital in the city.
In a second incident involving Station 6, the NSRI rescue duty crew was activated by Transnet National Ports Authority at 20h45 on Sunday
evening, 5 August following a call for assistance from the 10m ship’s supply boat Syncro which reported that it was limping back to
port after being engulfed by a wave 4 n.miles south of Cape Recife. The supply boat had a crew of three on board.
“The vessel Syncro, which carries supplies and routine crew rotations to passing ships on behalf of ships agents, was heading out to
sea on a mission to rendezvous and re-supply a passing ship approximately six nautical miles off-shore of Cape Recife,” reports Ian Gray,
Station 6 commander. “In 3 metre swells and 4 nautical miles off-shore of Cape Recife, which is about 12 nautical miles from port, she took a
wave over the starboard quarters which engulfed the vessel causing cargo to be shifted to one side of the vessel, resulting in the port gunnel
sinking to the water line and causing the port motor to sustain electrical failure causing it to stop working,” he said.
“The vessel, listing to one side and lying low on the water, then took more waves over her bow and gunnels which swamped the vessel and forced
her to lie heavy and low in the water after filling up with water.
“The three crewmen onboard fought to save the vessel, which included dumping cargo overboard.”
After having restored some integrity to their vessel and managing to proceed slowly towards Port Elizabeth using just her starboard motor
while having to continually pump water from the vessel, the skipper, as a precautionary measure put out a request for assistance from the
The NSRI immediately launched two rescue craft and rendezvoused with the supply boat just offshore of the Port Elizabeth beachfront.
“We found the vessel listing to one side and lying low in the water but she was making good headway under one motor in the calmer sea swells
inside of the Bay. We then escorted the vessel into port where she was run safely onto the beach,” said Gray.
With the help of the NSI volunteers the vessel was secured on the beach then pumped free of water before refloating her after which she was
berthed. There were no injuries sustained by anyone involved.
“It is suspected that a side-on wave may have caused the initial damage and her crew, skipper John Liverick, Mr Nduzi and William Hennop, all
from Port Elizabeth, are commended for their handling of the emergency and for saving their vessel under what must have been trying
circumstances,” said Gray.
A Dutch-based offshore oil services supply and support vessel operator and owner, Sea Trucks has confirmed that an attack was made by pirates
on the accommodation barge JACSON 33 approximately 30 n.miles off the Bonny Fairway buoy in Nigeria and that four of the company’s sea-going
personnel had been kidnapped and taken hostage.
In addition, two naval security guards based on the barge were shot and killed in the attack, which took place shortly after midnight on
Saturday night, 4 August.
The barge, which can accommodate up to 200 people, had 27 people on board at the time of the attack, of which seven were expatriates.
In a statement to AFP Sea Trucks spokesman Corrie van Kessel said that the two remaining security guards had been taken to hospital in Port
Harcourt for treatment. He said Sea Trucks Group was making every effort to ascertain the whereabouts of the missing four personnel.
According to Nigerian sources the four missing men were from Iran, Indonesia, Thailand and Malaysia. The Nigerian Navy has deployed a
helicopter and a boat to search the area where the attack took place but of course the attackers are long since gone.
The normal course of events in such situations is that a ransom demand will be made for the release of the men. The security guards, being
local Nigerians have no ransom value in the eyes of the criminals and care was not therefore taken to ensure that they were not injured. The
foreigners however could be ransomed with an expectation that their employers will pay out, although details of the transaction are seldom
confirmed or divulged.
News continues below…
PICS OF THE WEEK – GRANDE CONGO
An African named ship in a South American harbour. Grimaldi Group’s ro-ro car carrier GRANDE CONGO (47,658-gt, built 2010) leaving the port
of Santos, Brazil. Pictures by R Smera
Don’t forget to send us your news and press releases for inclusion in the News Bulletins. Shipping related pictures submitted by readers
are always welcome – please email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Did you know that Ports & Ships lists ship movements for all southern African ports between Walvis Bay on the West Coast and Mombasa on
the East Coast?
TABLE BAY UNDERWAY SHIPPING SHIP
PHOTOGRAPHERS Colour photographs and slides for
sale of a variety of ships.
Thousands of items listed featuring
famous passenger liners of the past to cruise ships of today, freighters, container vessels, tankers, bulkers, naval and research
South Africa’s most comprehensive Directory of
Maritime Services is now listed on this site. Please check if your company is included. To sign up for a free listing contact email@example.com or register online
Looking for help? Try our MARITIME SERVICES DIRECTORY CLICK HERE